Athletic bras are popular options among many patients after having a breast augmentation because they are made with soft fabrics and do not have underwires. Underwire bras are a big no-no after a breast augmentation because the breast tissue that sits on the wire can become permanently marked.
An athletic bra is nothing like a postsurgical bra.
A proper postsurgical bra minimizes postoperative tissue marking, protects the incision site to reduce the degree of scarring, stabilizes implants, and offers a comfortable fit. Postsurgical bras are manufactured with fabric, features, and body modeling technology, producing a bra that provides proper support or compression for extended periods of time.
I always advise that you follow the recommendations of your physician but I would like to share my tips for selecting a proper postsurgical bra.
Features you should consider when purchasing your postsurgical bra:
- Front Opening: Easy access to incisions and dressings
- Fabric: Soft, supportive, breathable, and hypoallergenic
- Seams: Do not irritate incisions, mark tissue, or show under clothing
- Shoulder Straps: Adjust to accommodate cup size and fluid retention
- Under Bust Stabilizing Band: Wide for stabilizing support
- Back Opening: Adjustable for a custom fit
Remember to always use a proper postsurgical bra after breast surgery to ensure the best results from your procedure.